Renewable energy systems utilising ground source (geothermal) energy, surface water flow and wind power require an understanding of the local hydrogeological and hydrological setting to support proper design, optimisation and long-term success of implemented schemes. Failure to properly assess this element of the project can lead to failure in obtaining necessary permits or achievement of promised performance, compromising returns on initial investment.
McLorinan Consulting Ltd has an unrivalled level of local knowledge of hydrogeological conditions in Northern Ireland and extensive experience in other parts of the UK and Ireland, which can benefit such projects.
Ground Source Energy Systems
The most common technologies used include:
(i) Open loop borehole vertical groundwater systems where groundwater is abstracted and heat extracted (heating mode) or heat added (cooling mode) via heat pumps/exchangers followed by subsequent disposal and/or reinjection of the water back into the aquifer
(ii) Closed loop vertical and horizontal systems for heat collection and disposal
McLorinan Consulting Ltd has been involved in a number of public sector and private ground source energy schemes over the last 3 years. This has enabled us to develop an excellent level of up-to-date practical and technical experience in the optimisation of such systems and dealing with the environmental regulator to agree appropriate licences and consents, when required. Our renewable energy services include:
- Providing advice and consultation on ground source energy systems for medium to large-scale applications
- Completion of ground source energy deskstudy feasibility assessments
- Completion of field trials for ground source energy system design
- Design and implementation of open loop (groundwater) ground source energy systems
- Design and implementation of closed loop (vertical and horizontal) ground source energy systems
- Thermal modelling for performance optimisation and calculation of thermal breakthrough / system lifespan
- Thermogeology for ground source energy systems
Ground source systems, properly designed, offer significant savings in energy costs along with reduction in emissions, benefiting the environment. Reasons for some schemes failing to reach their potential include insufficient consideration of ground conditions and inappropriate application of parameter approximations.
Understanding ground and environmental conditions at turbine sites is essential to determining the impact construction and operation of systems. This is required both to support permit applications as well as to allow proper design and costing of schemes and identification associated mitigations measures which may be required.
McLorinan Consulting Ltd can provide a wide range of in-house services which will support the assessment process and can provide relevant guidance to minimise risk and avoid unnecessary project expenditure.
- Topographical Surveying
- Peat/soils probing/coring
- Water Resource Assessment
- Hydrogeological Assessment
- Hydrological Monitoring and Catchment Analysis
- Water Quality Sampling and Testing
- Noise Surveying
- Slope Stability Analysis
- Hydroelectric Power
McLorinan Consulting Ltd has considerable experience in assessment of river flows and catchment analysis. Our services include:
- Topographical Surveying
- Catchment Description
- Flow gauging
- In-house watercourse flow modelling